Monday, May 14, 2007

Welcome to the Jungle(s)

I have been in Bolivia since Friday night, first in La Paz, and then in Coroico. This country is the kind of place that assaults you the second you arrive, with new smells, people in your face, and a general sense of foreignness (at least in my case). It has not been easy.
I guess one problem is that I'm used to being in Chile, and to me, Chile has become metonymic for Latin America. Chile is familiar, and easy, and I guess I sort of expected that the rest of this continent would be too. So I was taken by surprise at how different everything is here. It was sort of an unrealistic expectation, though.
My only consolation is that even Bolivians are foreigners in their own land, on some level or another. This country is full of divisions that cause its citizens to look at one another as "others": Divisions between east and west (La Paz and Santa Cruz, collas and cambas), divisions between the rich and poor (this is something Bolivia has in common with the rest of Latin America), divisions between politicians and those they represent, divisions between whites and indigenous people (I read in the newspaper that this country has been living a "de facto apartheid" since colonial times), divisions among indigenous groups (Quechuas, Aymaras, Guaraní...), and geographic divisions that make it very difficult to move around the country. So, there is basically no way for anyone--Bolivian or foreigner--to ever fully understand all aspects of this country.
I do feel very detached from this culture, though. This is partly because both the US and Chile are countries "non gratos" here: Chile because it usurped Bolivia's coastline (and an area full of copper and other natural resources) during the War of the Pacific, thereby (as Bolivians see it) permanently crippling its ability to export its goods and generate wealth; the US is not so well looked-upon either, due to its ongoing meddling in Bolivian affairs (spraying coca crops in the name of the War on Drugs, and imposing neoliberal economic systems, etc. etc.).
Anyway, I got to La Paz on a bus from Putre (Chile) on Friday evening, and walked around the city's main streets on Friday and Saturday. La Paz is built inside a deep canyon, 4000 m above sea level. So one's first approach to it is looking down into it. There is one main street that runs along the bottom, and then all other streets go uphill on each side. The city itself seems like it's threatening to slide down onto you at any minute.
Most of the sidewalks are taken up by stands, where mostly women sell everything from dried llama fetuses (!) to weavings, to adult diapers, to flowers, to powdered milk, to hot foods. Most sidewalks on the streets leading away from the main street are stairways because they are so steep. There are very few traffic signals, so you kind of have to cross the street and dodge cars (kind of like that Frogger episode of Seinfeld). Indigenous women with gold teeth, in thick skirts and bowler hats, carrying enormous loads on their back, sell pocket-sized kleenex packages in front of Burger King. That is a very La Paz image for you. I haven't taken any pictures of them, because I think it would be disrespectful.
Here is a picture of a park in La Paz:
Then on Sunday morning I took a bus to Coroico, 2000 m downhill and over mountains into a new Department of the country, the Yungas. Coroico is built on a mountain, which means that it has spectacular views. It had a lush feel to it (and the ensuing bugs--thank you Lisa Whelan for taking me to REI to buy repellant in April!), with amazing flowers and animals. I stayed at a beautiful place called Sol y Luna, where I had a hammock with a view, and a private room and bathroom, for like $4 a night (Bolivia is cheap). It was a nice place to just read and relax. I am reading "The Savage Detectives" by Roberto Bolaño. It's awesome, and I think an English translation just came out. I highly recommend it.
This is Coroico:
Take care for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow carl... i am totally enthralled by that Sol y Luna place... i went to their website and was blown away by the photos. it's gorgeous!

so um, when do you get to columbia? when you are there, can you pick up a pair of cheap aviator sunglasses for me? i'll pay you back. i want to tell people that they are my columbian drug lord sunglasses.

can't wait to see more photos.

love you and say hi to kaitlin for me when she gets there.